Provide strategic technical leadership, coordination and long-term direction for the on-going development and implementation of water resource engineering, flood management, hydrogeological and geotechnical engineering initiatives. This will include, but not be limited to: leading TRCA’s Flood Plain Management and Mapping, Stormwater Management, and Flood Risk Management and Infrastructure Programs; creating and sustaining a network of TRCA staff and professional experts for collaborative efforts; and, providing strong managerial, operational, organizational, communication, and client services skills. Occupational Health and Safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- Lead the development of the overall goals and objectives of the Authority as a member of the Senior Management team. This includes leadership in crafting the Strategic Plan, Business plans and providing budgetary guidance for water resource and flood managementinitiatives.
- Lead, input and implement a 5 year business plan in support of the business requirements and define the strategies for partnerships and new businessmodels.
- Lead staff in the management of all aspects of flood management and mitigation, ensuring an appropriate flood warning response program including regular contactswith all municipal emergency response organizations.
- Lead staff in technical advice as it relates to planning functions, official plans and other strategic documents. Lead innovative programs and policies to achieve objectives for core areas of operation. Determine the performance standards and policies neededfor a sustainable natural environment. Ensure compliance with policies andregulations.
- Translate emerging scientific knowledge to adapt engineering design andrestoration plans.
- Seek new opportunities and joint ventures to develop state of the art programs, projects, standards and guidelines that can be applied within the environmental sector including professional educational opportunities, changes in legislation, official plans or applications of that legislation based on scientificknowledge.
- Manage the technical studies and modeling for use in watershed planningand restoration/constructionguidelines.
- Lead staff in supporting the overall strategies of TRCA including the developmentand implementation of Authority programs and projects. Lead the staff in the technical evaluation and recommendations for the Development Services mandate in technical content, stakeholder education and awareness of issues and the processitself.
- Work with other CA’s, Conservation Ontario and municipalities to share knowledge and influence planning to lessen the risks of flooding anderosion.
- Seek and develop partnerships in the development, academic, consulting and private research sectors to augment TRCA’s access to expertise, to augment impact and to develop larger joint ventureopportunities.
- Lead the people management function for the group with objective setting, performance management and team building to maintain an effective and efficient work team through the selection, training and development, motivation and performance evaluation of staff including managers, supervisors andstaff.
- Review and ensure the quality and value of all presentations and submissions to the Boards and direct any follow up actions required as a result of the Boards’ review of materials. Present programs to municipal councils and committee meetings, Hearing Boards, public meetings, conferences and seminars as required including on behalf of theDirector.
- Ensure that staff are well trained and compliant to health and safety standards by developing training and monitoring programs and working with staff and supervisorsto create a “safety first”attitude.
- Provide governance and good judgment for all TRCA senior management initiatives and programs.
- Engineering degree specializing in civil and/or waterresources.
- 10 years’ experience including 5 years’ experience at a senior level in progressively more challenging positions.
- Professional accreditation in good standing of PEO or OACETT.
- Valid Driver's licence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to collaborate on opportunities, creatively problem solve and envision business strategies and plans in the future 5 to 10years.
- Strong understanding of environmental legislation including the Planning Act,the Conservation Authorities Act and other policies including the Living City Policies.
- Familiar with construction projects and procedures, project managementand engineering design.
- Strong analytical skills and proficient in hydrologic and hydraulic computer modeling.
- Ability to form partnerships and sustain strategic long term business relationshipsand successfully manage diverse teams.
- Strong analytical skills in defining issues, creating innovative processes andmanaging field operations.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to influence others, and manage change.
- Excellent communication, human resources management and projectmanagement skills.
- Health and Safety are a key component of the position in training, supervision and compliance processes.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-233-19 prior to midnight on September 30, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.