Reporting to the Senior Manager, Communications, Marketing and Events, the Communications and Media Relations Specialist will champion high-quality, well-written, on-brand, targeted, timely, and effective internal and external organizational communications. The Specialist plays a key role in building awareness, understanding and advocvacy for TRCA and its programs; engaging key stakeholders; and acquiring and retaining TRCA customers and clients by encouraging media exposure of TRCA, its activities and services in support of TRCA’s strategic priorities.
Collaborating effectively with subject-matter experts both internal and external to TRCA, the Specialist ensures strategic communications align with TRCA’s Strategic Plan, organizational priorities, vision, mission and core values. Collaborating with the CEO’s Office, Senior Leadership Team, business units throughout the organization, and external stakeholders, the Specialist prioritizes, plans and executes communications and media relations to generate optimal media coverage/exposure for TRCA. The position serves as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries ensuring that TRCA responds effectively; builds relationships with key editors, journalists and bloggers; and prepares and distributes messages and materials for media use. This position is also responsible for identifying issues, trends and current events to seize opportunities for enhanced media coverage/exposure for TRCA.
In alignment with the TRCA communications strategy, the Specialist develops and executes tactical communications plans for various platforms for internal and external audiences, ensuring messaging is consistent, accurate and aligned to TRCA’s brand. The Specialist works collaboratively with internal TRCA Divisions serving as a strategic partner and liasion for end-to-end strategic communications support, efforts and strategies.
- Research and write strategic communications on behalf of the CEO and Senior Leadership Team as required, adjusting tone and style of writing for different audiences, while effectively conveying organizational messaging and brand.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of TRCA’s overall strategic communications plan, including supporting outreach strategies, specific projects, events and activities.
- Actively create content on various organizational activities to keep employees up to date, engaged and appraised of key information, by sourcing information from various organizational stakeholders.
- Provide day-to-day communications content and media relations support for teams throughout TRCA.
- Ensure effective distribution of media materials through a variety of channels including automated and manual direct distribution to media, web posting, and dissemination via social media.
- Prepare and help implement key media relations policies and protocols including corporate crisis communications plans.
- Create and execute ongoing relationship management strategies TRCA’s key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to devise and implement communications programs.
- Identify appropriate spokespeople for media interviews, craft key messaging and responses and make sure spokespeople across the organization are effectively prepared for interviews, including training as required.
- Monitor the impact of internal and external communications by identifying appropriate success metrics and analyzing trends and patterns in analytics reports.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, English, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years' of experience in corporate communications including hands-on experience executing corporate communications strategies.
- 3 years' of directly related work experience including hands-on experience in executing corporate and local media campaigns.
- Effective project management experience with the ability to manage multiple competing projects and assignments concurrently.
- Experience in change management communications.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the GTA.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced written and oral communication skills that include the ability to translate complex technically oriented information and concepts into effective, compelling and succinct accessible strategic communications solutions that meet the versatile needs of a broad range of audiences.
- Exceptional content development and editorial skills, with a demonstrated high attention to detail and ability to create high impact custom messages and content for a range of audiences and platforms.
- Sound knowledge and application of strategic communications tools and techniques, including the practical application of new technologies and social media.
- Experience utilizing various communication forums including web technology, blogs and podcasts, content sharing sites, interactive forums, etc.
- Professional experience using primary social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Professional experience managing media relations in the environmental and/or municipal government sector.
- Strong ability to build and foster positive relationships with internal employees and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high degree of ethics, with a strong ability to build professional relationships with key stakeholders, government bodies, TRCA Board and staff at all level, while adhering to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, often with competing priorities and time timelines.
- Thorough working knowledge of computer software packages including HTML, video-editing program, Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, PowerPoint), Microsoft Publishing or InDesign, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, and comprehensive knowledge of Canadian Press Style standards.
- Ability to make considered and effective decisions quickly, often without the benefit of full information.
- Strong digital media experience that support a “digital-first” approach to media relations.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-075-20 prior to midnight on March 13, 2020.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.