SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
Assist with outdoor environmental community events on weekends (and select weekdays, based on your availability) during the months of September – November 2017. Events will be located throughout the Greater Toronto Area and across the TRCA’s jurisdiction. Successful candidates must attend a volunteer training session and commit to volunteering for 4 events during this event season. Events are located throughout the GTA and across the TRCA’s jurisdiction.
Thursday, August 31, 2017
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Black Creek Pioneer Village, 1000 Murray Ross Parkway, Toronto
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Enjoy communicating with others;
- Environmental knowledge with a focus on local wildlife, native plants and environmental conservation an asset;
- Comfortable working outdoors in a team environment;
- Experience with community events;
- Interest in providing nature interpretation to the general public;
- Interest in gardening/planting trees;
- Familiarity with TRCA and its programs is an asset;
- Current police check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required;
- Access to a personal vehicle for travel to events.
SUMMARY OF TASKS
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Participate in the training session on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 from 6 – 8pm;
- Participate in site safety orientations before each event;
- Assist with the set-up of tables, tents and other event equipment;
- Greet participants, collect registration information and any required waivers or releases;
- Assist with planting demonstrations and nature interpretation at events;
- Engage event participants in interactive activities at an event booth (successful candidates will be trained to lead event activities);
- Assist with packing up tables, tents and other event equipment;
- Participate at a minimum of 4 events during this event season.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for training will be contacted.