SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Conservation Youth Corps program offers Durham Region high school students the opportunity to volunteer for a week in August assisting with conservation projects. Volunteers work in crews with other high school students on outdoor tasks and can earn up to 28 community service hours by participating in the program.
This program is offered in Durham thanks to the generous support of our funders: Telus, Ontario Power Generation and the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation.
Pick Up Locations for August 8-11
• Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 14 years of age;
- Currently enrolled in High School and returning in September 2017;
- Able to commit to volunteering for the duration of the program;
- Interested in the outdoors and environmental conservation;
- Comfortable working in a team environment;
- Punctual and reliable.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- Arrive on time at a designated pick up location each day.
- Participate in an orientation and training session.
- Comply with all health and safety instructions provided and maintain a safety focus during all tasks.
- Daily work activities including maintaining and improving trails as well as building picnic benches and other infrastructure for the sites.
- Use hand tools and equipment safely, including shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Please note: volunteers less than 18 years of age require parental or guardian consent to participate in this program.