SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Conservation Youth Corps program offers York Region high school students the opportunity to volunteer for a week in August assisting with conservation projects. Volunteers work in crews with other high school students on outdoor tasks and can earn up to 35 community service hours by participating in the program. The program is offered for the following weeks:
Pick Up Locations for AUGUST 13-17
- Markville Secondary School (To be confirmed)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 14 years of age;
- Currently enrolled in High School and returning in September 2018;
- Able to commit to volunteering for one full week (Monday – Friday) during August;
- Interested in the outdoors and environmental conservation;
- Comfortable working in a team environment;
- Punctual and reliable.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- Arrive on time at a designated pick up location each day.
- Participate in an orientation and training session.
- Comply with all health and safety instructions provided and maintain a safety focus during all tasks.
- Daily work activities including removing invasive species, monitoring planting sites and maintaining trails.
- Use hand tools and equipment safely, including shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Please note: volunteers less than 18 years of age require parental or guardian consent to participate in this program.