Contract Duration: 4.5 Month Contract (Starting in May 2021)
Number of Vacancies: 2 positions
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Cook will assist with the planning and implementation of food preparation and delivery at Bathurst Glen Golf Course. This position will ensure that all food preparations and presentations meet the department’s specifications and commitment to quality. The Cook is expected to maintain a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen through proper food handling techniques. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position and providing excellent customer and client service is crucial.
*Please note that this is a part-time position and candidate must be available to work on weekends
- Assist in the continued development of kitchen operations including, but not limited to: training and operational procedures for all equipment, daily checklists for cleaning and other general maintenance tasks to meet sanitation standards.
- Prepare meals according to approved menus and recipes; having regard at all times to health and safety requirements for food handling.
- Place food and supply orders as directed.
- Receive products, verifying invoice and quality and freshness of products.
- Assist with the supervision and administration of food inventory control and ensure food supplies are properly stored at all times including storage of food products as delivered.
- Operate a wide variety of industrial kitchen equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness of all kitchen spaces including workstations, fridges, freezers, and food storage spaces.
- Obtain daily knowledge and understanding of specific client allergies and/or special diet requirements and ensure food is prepared accordingly.
- Ensure that all health and safety regulations, protocols and procedures are understood and enforced for safe handling, preparation and storage of food.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
What you will need to succeed:
- Secondary school education or an equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
- 3 - 5 years’ progressive experience in a banquet and/or restaurant food service environment.
- Food Handler’s Certificate.
- Smart Serve certified or ability to obtain certification.
- Cash register experience an asset.
- Standard First Aid certification an asset.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Superior customer service skills.
- General computer skills.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-047-21 prior to midnight on March 11, 2021.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.