Contract Duration: 4-5 Months
Lead a work crew to collect fish, invertebrate, and stream habitat data in support of the TRCA’s Watershed Monitoring and Reporting group. Data collection includes use of electrofishing gear, surveying equipment, multi-parameter water quality probes etc. Health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field.
- Ability to handle and identify, invertebrate, fish and wildlife species found in the Toronto area.
- Familiar with biological sampling equipment, including electrofishing units (certification an asset), trap nets, hoop nets.
- Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol certification an asset.
- Ontario Benthos Biomonitoring Network certification an asset.
- Ability to operate small commercial vessels.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work leading a team.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license.
Perform the following tasks under supervision:
- Gather aquatic data using backpack electroshocking unit, benthic invertebrate nets, and in-stream measurements using the Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol.
- Supervise the field activities of a small work crew.
- Data entry, manipulation and QA/QC of data in field sheet, spreadsheet and database formats.
- Maintain sampling equipment as required.
- Liaise with landowners and staff from other agencies as required.
- Assist with data synthesis, and the preparation of monitoring reports.
- Work safely in and around water.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.