Duration: 9 weeks
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
The Crew (Ravine Team) position is responsible for a variety of tasks related to enhancing or improving the habitat and recreational value of the Toronto ravine system. Working with a Crew Lead, the field staff execute tasks including but not limited to tree planting, invasive species removal, trail restoration, biomonitoring, litter clean-ups, as well as public engagement at local events.
- Training and review of safety measures as it relates to daily tasks.
- Daily site checks.
- Utilizing all required health and safety equipment and PPE, and follow all measures and practices.
- Daily vehicle and equipment inspections/checks to ensure proper functioning and inventory control.
- Assist with ravine restoration activities including invasive species removal, planting, and litter clean-ups.
- Help prepare for and engage with community members at organized virtual or in-person events to educate them about the Toronto Ravine Strategy and activities taking place to improve their conditions.
- Assist with field observations, data recording, data management and specimen collection.
- Offer excellent customer service in all aspects of this role.
- Ensure safety in the field (e.g. use of PPE).
- Ensure compliance with TRCA policies and professional standards.
- Other assigned duties.
- Submit and reconcile appropriate documentation including vehicle sheets, expenses.
- Inventory personal use equipment on a regular basis and ensure equipment and safety gear appropriate to the task at hand is available and in good condition.
- Inform crew lead of any deficient or missing inventory in a timely manner.
- Participate in career enhancement opportunities such as lunch and learn, workshops, debrief, staff surveys, etc.
What you will need to succeed:
- Working toward or has completed a post-secondary Degree or Diploma in any environmental sector program – i.e. landscape architecture, horticulture, arborist, planner, environmental educator, biologist, etc.
- Valid Ontario G driver’s license in good standing.
- Minimum 6 months of experience related to major tasks; resource management, restoration ecology, environmental sciences, fish and wildlife management or related field.
- Excellent organization skills (i.e. time management, scheduling, inventory).
- Excellent communication skills (presentation, written, verbal, email, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of environmental issues.
- Strong problem solving and collaboration skills.
- Comfortable working with tools.
- Comfortable working in both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Familiarity with the Toronto Ravine Strategy.
- Proficient with computers (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Forms).
- Ability to work flexible schedules including evenings and weekends if requested.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan – OMERS/OTPP).
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-123-21 prior to midnight on May 13, 2021.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.