*1 year contract position, with the possibility of extension*
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Under the supervision of the Supervisor, Budget and Business Planning and the general guidance of the Senior Manager IT/IMs and the Database Specialist, the Database Specialist – Budget and Business Planning coordinates and executes the development of an enterprise database and information management project. The Database Specialist, Budget and Business Planning provides project management, database design, application development, data conversion and integration for the enterprise database initiative, in a complex and integrated relational database environment.
This position works closely with TRCA staff and business units to identify and develop business and functional requirements for software application development. The Database Specialist, Budget and Business Planning documents these requirements for the purpose of designing system architecture, data modeling, database development, and user interface design and security/authentication strategies. This position collaborates with external partner colleagues in the development of shared systems and knowledge exchange.
- Four Year degree in Computer Science or related discipline;
- 5 years of experience related to major tasks;
- BSc degree in Computer Science;
- MCDBA Microsoft Certified Database Administrator;
- Certified Database Development Certification;
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience administering and developing relational databases in a MS SQL Server, Oracle, .NET environment;
- Experience in developing and consuming web services and application program interfaces (API);
- Demonstrated experience in Business Requirements analysis and documentation;
- Experience in developing complex data models describing data elements and how they are used;
- Excellent knowledge of data security, collection protocols, standards development and implementation;
- Demonstrated experience in user interface, browser based/mobile application development;
- Excellent project management and time management skills, oral, written and analytical acumen.
- Sybase, DB2, MySQL
- UML Unified Modeling Language
- Database Management, Data Maintenance, Decision Making, Problem Solving, Process Improvement, Database Performance Tuning and Operating Systems
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- Meet regularly with staff and other stakeholders to identify database and software application development requirements.
- Work with IT/IM staff as part of a team to build integrated database and software applications.
- Develop custom software and database applications using programing, scripting and other development tools.
- Develop, design and build user interfaces, data models, security and authentication protocols, client/server hosting solutions, reporting tools and data maintenance schedules.
- Develop coding standards and protocols to ensure structured application development and standardized software products.
- Develop a structured application development environment whereby standards and protocols are geared for success throughout the development lifecycle including:Scope Definition, Business Requirements/Analysis, Functional requirements Documentation, Data Modelling, User Interface Design, Security and Authentication, User Acceptance Testing, Re-builds and Production Deployment.
- Coordinate business and functional requirements analysis working with other Business units and Divisions for the purposes of creating specification documents in the initial stages of database application development project cycle.
- Using iterative processes, question and respond to functionality requests to determine user and business requirements prior to application development.
- Develop standard templates for performing Business Analysis and documenting Functional Requirements. Standardization will ensure all stakeholders are aware of what is being asked for and reduces project scope creep.
- Develop security standards and protocols to ensure TRCA data is safe and secure. This is critical as more data and software applications are exposed to the internet and accessed remotely.
- Ensure database designs and software applications have security, data integrity and accuracy as a foremost priority while building tools to balance data accessibility.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.