*7 month contract posistion, May through December*
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The East Duffins Headwaters Greenspace Technician is responsible for collecting field data for the Inventory and Audit component of the Durham Watershed Trails Program. This includes trail mapping and auditing, encroachment identification, visitor survey, and infrastructure assessment. This position is also responsible for being the lead ambassador for the East Duffins Headwaters properties, for coordinating the East Duffins Headwaters Trail Captains Program, and for acting as a community liaison to further the relationship of neighbours, users and other community members with TRCA. Providing excellent customer and client service as well as working safely are conditions of employment.
- Currently enrolled in or graduate of a post-secondary education program in natural resource management, geographic information systems, environmental management, geography, environmental studies or related discipline, or equivalent knowledge;
- Minimum of 1 year experience related to the major tasks;
- Strong knowledge of local community relationships and politics;
- Local residency and community ties an asset;
- Knowledge and experience collecting data using portable GPS equipment (experience with Trimble Geo-Explorer preferred);
- Possess knowledge about relevant legislation including the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA);
- Experience using ArcGIS and other mapping programs;
- An interest in land and trail management planning and policy;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to interact with the public in an professional manner;
- Orienteering, navigation and/or mapping skills;
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Knowledge of invasive species;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and implement projects;
- Valid Ontario Driver's License required.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- Inventory and audit trails at TRCA’s East Duffins Headwaters properties in support of TRCA's Watershed Trails Program in Durham Region.
- Georeference and assess the condition of all trail infrastructure in support of the TRCA Trail Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identify and monitor encroachment sites.
- Collect trail partner inspection and maintenance reports and provide reports to appropriate staff.
- Coordinate the East Duffins Headwaters Trail Captains Program, including recruitment and scheduling.
- Monitor conservation easements in TRCA’s East Duffins Headwaters properties.
- Conduct trail user surveys and visitor monitoring at TRCA’s East Duffins Headwaters properties and submit data and records.
- Summarize data and experiences to assist in the production of project reports and summaries.
- Distribute and/or post educational or informational material upon direction.
- Provide administrative support, coordination and liaison to the East Duffins Headwaters Stewardship Committee by organizing meetings (including locations) and agendas, recording minutes, working with Committee members, and following up with TRCA staff as appropriate.
- Assist with community outreach and stewardship as required, including organizing volunteer community events, receiving complaints, suggestions and complements, and connecting interested parties with appropriate TRCA staff or other partners.
- Develop relationships and liaise with the community on behalf of TRCA.
- Assist with other Watershed Trails Program projects as required.
- Conduct and document minor maintenance, including pruning with handheld tools and removal of minor waste dumpings, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.