Contract Duration: 5 Month Contract Position
Under the guidance of their Supervisor, the Seasonal Education Assistant is responsible for the delivery of education programs including the Aquatic Plants Program at Toronto and Region Conservation outdoor spaces, particularly Tommy Thompson Park. In addition, the Seasonal Education Assistant will support the delivery of camp programming, summer events and four-wheel bike maintenance at Tommy Thompson Park.
This position demands an individual with strong facilitation abilities. They are expected to provide superior customer service to all stakeholders.
Evening and weekend work is a function of the job as required. Occupational Health and Safety is a major responsibility of this position. This position requires the successful applicant to be currently registered as a post-secondary student with the intention to return to school in the fall of 2018. This is a requirement of the Canada Summer Jobs program.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Currently a post-secondary school student with a focus in Environmental Studies, Outdoor Recreation, Education, Geography or other related diploma/degree with the intention to return to school in September 2018.
- Experience working with children and youth within a school, camp, daycare or similar setting.
- Experience delivering environmental education programs.
- Nature interpretation knowledge and experience communicating this knowledge with a variety of audiences.
- Experience bicycling and repairing bicycles is an asset.
- Knowledge of environmental issues within the Greater Toronto Area.
- Valid driver’s license.
- First Aid and CPR certified.
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Deliver curriculum-linked wetland education programs to students and teachers at Tommy Thompson Park.
- Deliver outdoor summer camp programming to children aged 6 – 16 at Tommy Thompson Park.
- Support the maintenance of a fleet of four-wheel bikes at Tommy Thompson Park.
- Work with other team members to clean, repair and identify replacement of teaching equipment and supplies.
- Support education and community engagement events including staffing educational booths.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.