SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Education Assistant will teach curriculum-linked environmental education programs to elementary and high school students in York and Durham Region. During the school year the position involves teaching on a daily basis at the Lake St. George Field Centre in Richmond Hill and as required at the Claremont Field Centre in Pickering and at schools in York Region. The successful candidate will be leading water based activities such as canoeing and kayaking and Summer Camp programs. The Education Assistant will contribute to maintaining an inventory of program supplies. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required is mandatory. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- 2-3 years’ experience related to major tasks;
- Member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers an asset;
- NLS Certification, ORCKA PCOC, Basic Canoeing Instructor certification, ORCKA Camp Canoe Instructor certification an asset;
- Post-secondary education in environmental science, education or a related field;
- Experience teaching and/or leading outdoor programming;
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a team environment;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Ability to work flexible work hours with some evenings, weekends, and occasional split shifts;
- Standard First Aid;
- Daily access to a vehicle and a valid Ontario Driver’s License is required;
- Experience in leading water based activities such as canoeing and kayaking;
- Experience leading community-based programs and environmental activities.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- As part of the teaching team at TRCA, deliver curriculum-linked education programs at Lake St. George Field Centre.
- Deliver daytime and evening programs, and assist with other Field Centre duties including dining room and dorm check routines.
- Assist in delivering water based activities such as canoeing and kayaking.
- Lead Summer Camps and the Conservation Youth Corps (CYC) programs.
- Lead community events including nature walks and recreational events.
- Inspect, inventory, repair and transport supplies and equipment for education programs and ensure all materials are available for daily program delivery.
- Assist with the entry of data and administrative duties.
- Assist with light cleaning, and grounds maintenance as required.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.