SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Under supervision collect fish, invertebrate, water quality, stream flow, and geomorphological data in support of the TRCA’s Regional Watershed Monitoring Program and other projects. Data collection includes use of electrofishing gear, surveying equipment, multi-parameter water quality probes etc. Health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field;
- Ability to handle and identify, fish and invertebrate species found in the Toronto area;
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team member;
- Familiar with biological sampling equipment, including backpack electroshocking unit (certification an asset);
- Familiarity with Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol(OSAP) and Ontario Benthic Biomonitoring Network (OBBN) (certification an asset);
- Familiarity with surveying equipment, water quality sampling, stream flow discharge measurements, and logger installation an asset;
- Comfortable working in and around water;
- Valid Ontario driver’s license.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
Perform the following tasks under supervision.
- Conduct field inventories using specific protocols.
- Operate sampling equipment.
- Entry and manipulation of data in spreadsheet and database formats.
- Work safely.
- Provide excellent customer and client service.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.