SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Field Assistant volunteers at the Tommy Thompson Park Bird Research Station (TTPBRS) play an important role assisting with passerine monitoring during spring and fall migration. The
Migration Monitoring Program, which consists of a daily census and bird banding, runs in spring from April 1 to June 9 and fall from August 5 to November 12. Field Assistants have a passion for birds and possess excellent visual bird identification skills for species commonly found in southern Ontario. Working in a dynamic team setting, under the direction of the Coordinator, Field Assistants will have the opportunity to enhance their ornithological skills including working with mist nets, banding and conducting physical assessments. The data collected as part of the migration monitoring program is submitted to the national bird banding office, where it can be used to guide conservation initiatives.
Migration monitoring takes place in early mornings – volunteers meet at the entrance to Tommy Thompson Park 45 minutes before dawn and are expected to commit to a 7-hour shift. Field Assistants must be available for a minimum of 1 (ideally 2) days a week (weekdays and weekends), for the duration of the migration period, and are required have their own transportation to Tommy Thompson Park.
NOTE: Volunteering at TRCA in this position is contingent upon the clearance of a Vulnerable Sector Screening. Candidates will be asked for a screening only when they have been selected as a successful candidate.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent visual and auditory bird identification skills for birds of Eastern North America
- Previous bird banding and extraction experience an asset
- Able to commit to a weekly schedule for the migration season
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Can work as part of a team
- A 2-year commitment is requested
EXAMPLE OF TASKS:
- Assist with the collection of scientific data: species identification, aging and sexing, morphometric measurements
- Accurate recording of data
- Bird handling (passerine, raptor, waterfowl, waterbird)
- Provide interpretation for park visitors
- Daily housekeeping activities in TTPBRS
- Are you willing to obtain VSS clearance?
- Do you have bird banding experience?
- Do you have bird extraction experience?
- Do you have excellent bird identification skills?
To apply to this volunteer opportunity, click on the “Apply” icon. Applicants should indicate a start date and availability in their cover letter.