Contract Duration: May 13th to July 12th (8 weeks)
The Field Biologist, Fauna position is responsible for overseeing and carrying out daily environmental monitoring fieldwork activities in support of TRCA’s environmental monitoring programs and projects. In particular, this position is responsible for leading and conducting breeding bird surveys and monitoring. Health and Safety is a requirement of this position.
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Conduct breeding bird field inventories and monitoring according to TRCA’s Terrestrial Natural Heritage protocol and Ontario Forest Bird Monitoring Protocol.
- Input data into environmental databases and Excel spreadsheets.
- Provide direction and evaluate the performance of the field assistant.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Minimum college diploma in biology, ecology, or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience conducting breeding bird surveys.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to quickly identify all species of birds by song and call that could be found in the TRCA Region.
- Thorough knowledge of the ecology and breeding birds of the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
- Thorough knowledge of, and experience with, breeding bird inventory and monitoring protocols.
- Excellent navigational field skills using digital ortho-photo and GPS.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient with computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Valid Ontario “G” Driver's Licence in good standing.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # TRCA-082-19 prior to midnight on March 25, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews.
Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or drivers abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs.