Contract Duration: April 1 - September 27, with possibility of extension
The Field staff position is responsible for assisting the Crew Leads with the field work for meadow restoration including adaptive management, monitoring and maintenance within the Meadoway (a 16km stretch of hydro corridor). Candidates will demonstrate the relevant skills, techniques, and best management practices for meadow restoration and invasive species management. Candidates will assist crew leads and actively participate in the safe operation and maintenance of a range of required tools and equipment including tractors. Overall, this position plays an integral role in the on-ground implementation and construction of restoration and enhancement. This position contributes to the strategic plan objectives including improvement of water quality and ecosystem health; a network of green space and green infrastructure; and improving protection of our natural systems. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Assist with the implementation of meadow restoration and invasive species management within The Meadoway.
- Assist with operation and maintenance of equipment, including RTVs, tractors, and implements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field and pursuing a career in environmental or related field.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license.
- Class A (R) license / trailer experience an asset.
- Standard First Aid an asset.
- Chainsaw experience an asset .
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of restoration ecology, aquatic, and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of native plants and their habitats.
- Demonstrated ability and aptitude to work outdoor in adverse conditions.
- Familiarity with farm and construction equipment, including small tools and larger machinery an asset.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # TRCA-031-19 prior to midnight on February 25, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or drivers abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.