Under the guidance and direction of the Supervisor of Operations and Implementation, Resource Management Projects (RMP), in cooperation with the Forestry Services and Conservation Lands and Trails project teams, and reporting directly to a Site Supervisor, the Lead Hand is responsible for the daily worksite supervision, coordination, and delivery of assigned construction, forestry and maintenance projects. Foremost, this includes providing crew motivation, direction, task instruction, maintaining high site safety standards and working conditions, and actively participating in the safe operation and maintenance of a complete range of required tools and equipment, while demonstrating current skills, techniques and best management practices. Monitoring and ensuring TRCA staff and contractor compliance with, and adherence to, all relevant federal, provincial and municipal laws, acts and regulations, TRCA Policies and Procedures, industry standards, and project details, with a strong focus on Health and Safety, is required.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in resource management, environmental or engineering science, landscape design, forestry, construction or a related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in implementation tasks in areas of specialization including a minimum of 3 years’ experience in supervisory tasks.
- Demonstrated daily worksite coordination, site supervision, and associated responsibilities.
- Demonstrated high level of technical expertise and knowledge of best practices in all RMP programs.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all relevant federal, provincial and municipal laws, acts and regulations, TRCA Policies and Procedures, and industry standards and their application to major task areas.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and apply forestry, engineering and landscape architectural plans, drawings, details and specifications.
- Current Chainsaw Operator and First Aid / CPR certificates.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with proven leadership and ability to train and coach staff.
- Basic GPS and computer literacy skills including word processing, spreadsheet and database functions.
- Valid Class G Driver’s License.
Provide active, operational support in the following programs:
• Tree Planting – hand and machine planting of seedlings for reforestations projects, and proper handling, installation and post planting care of bare roots trees and shrubs, ball and burlap, and wire basket caliper trees for riparian and habitat enhancement and softscaping of environmental landscape projects; and
• Forestry – stand tending with marking, tree felling / harvesting based on predetermined forest prescriptions, forest inventory and data collection, hazard tree assessment, monitoring and removal, forest pest monitoring and mitigation / control, and access and firebreak maintenance projects; and
• Land Care Maintenance – creation and repair of TRCA lands infrastructure including fencing, boardwalks, kiosks, natural surface trails, and mowing and clearing of existing paths; and
• Environmental Landscape, Infrastructure and Restoration Construction – physical implementation of regional multi-use granular and paved trails, wetlands, shorelines, and habitat creation, restoration, enhancement and naturalization.
- Apply proven ability in best practices and execution of RMP programs to the coordination of the implementation lifecycle of the project, including troubleshooting to anticipate and mitigate potential issues.
- Coordinate with Site Supervisors, other Lead Hands and Crew Leads for staffing and equipment requirements.
- Report on any projected variances from schedules and budgets, and propose potential mitigation to supervisor for approval.
- Provide on-site direction and daily worksite coordination of assigned projects focusing on safety, quality and efficiency to meet client expectations and project milestones / schedules within budget.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.