Contract Duration: up to 4 months (beginning May 2020)
Enjoy a positive and rewarding work experience outdoors this summer!
Albion Hills Conservation Area has several lifeguarding opportunities available and is encouraging qualified individuals to apply.
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor, Albion Hills Conservation Area and site guidance and direction of the Head Lifeguard and Assistant Head Lifeguard, the Lifeguard is responsible for maintaining control of the activities within the aquatic facility and providing safe, clean, enjoyable aquatic experiences for all users.
Candidates must be flexible to work all required shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Participate in all lifeguarding routines, rescue procedures, administration of first aid, operation of public address system and other general lifeguarding duties.
- Create safe, supervised aquatic areas, maintain complete vigilance to minimize risks, and act immediately to incidents and emergencies appropriately to ensure the safety of all individuals.
- Provide exceptional customer service and engage with participants to provide education about potential hazards and safe practices when participating in activities in and around water.
- Participate in all ‘in-service’ training programs; read, understand and ensure compliance to TRCA’s Lifeguard Manual.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of incidents and accidents.
- Inspect/test pool chemistry and complete records.
- Perform general maintenance and cleaning duties.
- Understand and follow responsible cash handling procedures.
- Support a healthy workplace that embraces diversity, encourages teamwork and complies with all applicable regulatory and legislative requirements.
- May require physical activity for extended periods of time in all weather conditions.
- May be required to lift or carry objects that could weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Other duties may be assigned within the Conservation Area.
- Must hold a current NLS (National Lifeguard Service) lifeguard certification; Must maintain certification and fitness level in accordance with National Lifeguard Standard; Certification must be kept valid throughout employment.
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C Certification dated no more than 2 years from the certification date, that is Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act Regulation 565 approved (obtained through Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross Society or St. John’s Ambulance).
- 1 year of lifeguarding experience.
- Airway management certificate an asset.
- Clearance of Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must exhibit clear and concise communication in both non-emergency and emergency situations.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Conflict resolution and de-escalation skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Superior customer service skills.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-039-20.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.