*Part-time contract from July 3 - September 3, 2017*
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Deliver daily Livestock Programming to a variety of audiences using heritage breed animals at Black Creek Pioneer Village. Programming will focus on the implementation of “Farmyard Friends,” a family-friendly animal interactive area. Interpret, inform, and entertain visitors by presenting accurate information about 19th century livestock and Canadian social history. Provide excellent customer and client service. The successful candidate will work weekends and holidays during the work term. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the care and handling of large animals is imperative. Experience with sheep, goats and/or horses preferred;
- Teaching and/or leadership experience in a non-school setting;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, 19th century Canadian social history;
- Experience working in museum or heritage setting an asset.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
Perform the following tasks under general supervision.
- Conduct the daily set up and cleanup of the Farmyard Friends program.
- Work with staff and volunteers to deliver public programs daily. Learn all programming information to ensure effective program delivery.
- Care for and groom all animals as required.
- Clean and maintain animal areas and ensure that they are safe, secure, and in a sanitary state.
- Adhere strictly to all TRCA health and safety policies.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills with all customers.
- Assist as needed with special programs which require the use of animals such as commercial photography, filming, and special events.
- Wear a period costume and care for assigned costume articles and accessories according to the guidelines set out by the Costume Department.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability - related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.