Contract Duration: 18 Weeks, anticipated start date May 22, 2018
Under general supervision of the Aquatic Biologist, and following established TRCA policies, procedures and guidelines, the West Nile Virus Surveillance Field Technician is responsible for carrying out larval mosquito monitoring and data collection activities in support of TRCA’s West Nile Virus Larval Mosquito Monitoring Program. In addition, this position also participates in surveying aquatic habitat, utilizing environmental monitoring equipment, identifying aquatic macroinvertebrates and data entry. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Basic Rescuer Certificate an asset.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work in and around water.
- Physical ability to walk in heavily wooded and wet areas.
- Ability to identify mosquito larvae an asset.
- Excellent benthic macroinvertebrate identification skills an asset.
- Valid Ontario "G" class Driver's License required.
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Collect mosquito larvae and field data.
- Rear and enumerate mosquito larvae in the laboratory.
- Maintain equipment (storage, organization, minor repairs).
- Organize field data records and enter monitoring data into databases.
- Process and identify preserved benthic macroinvertebrate samples.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.