Start Date: Spring 2021
Number of Positions: Multiple
Summary of Function:
Working with a small team, the Volunteer Naturalist will conduct wildlife monitoring at Tommy Thompson Park throughout the year, with a focus on breeding bird surveys from April to September. This information is used to provide weekly updates to TRCA staff of wildlife activities, contributes to the TTP wildlife database and the annual TTP Breeding Bird Report. Please Note:
- A minimum 90hr total commitment for the breeding bird period (April to September).
- The successful candidate is requested to make a minimum commitment of 1 year.
Perform the following tasks under general supervision:
- Travelling through the park by foot, bicycle or personal vehicle to observe and record all wildlife sightings (species and number, seen or heard);
- Nest searching (from April to September): locate, record and track all bird nests (with the exception of colonial waterbirds) within your specified nest searching zone, following The Breeding Birds of Tommy Thompson Park nest searching and VCP protocols; and
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
- Experience/aptitude for outdoor activities
- Standard First Aid an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge or the ability to learn ecology and flora/fauna of the Greater Toronto Area and Southern Ontario.
- Ability to identify birds of the Greater Toronto Area by sight and sound.
- Interest and aptitude to learn bird nest identification.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to hike long hours in uneven terrain.
- Understanding of Tommy Thompson Park history, programs, and projects an asset.
Applicants should indicate a start date and availability in their cover letter.
FORWARD COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: Jennifer.Smith@trca.ca