POSITION OVERVIEW: '
Contract Duration: up to 6 months (beginning April 2020)
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor, Heart Lake Conservation Area, Parks and Facilities Maintenance Staff are responsible for maintaining clean, safe, enjoyable facilities for all visitors. They will carry out various facility maintenance tasks such as landscaping, cleaning of public buildings, grounds and washrooms, and event set up. Ensuring safe operation at all times, Parks and Facilities Maintenance Staff utilize a variety of small and large tools, equipment and vehicles and will ensure compliance to all applicable rules and regulations while doing so.
This position also performs customer service duties, including interacting and engaging with visitors to ensure a positive and memorable experience.
Candidates must be flexible to work all required shifts, including weekends and holidays.
NOTE: Hiring at TRCA is contingent on the clearance of the Vulnerable Sector Screening. Candidates will be asked for a screening only where they have been selected as the leading candidate(s).
- Carry out various facility maintenance tasks including landscaping and grounds maintenance, cleaning of facilities, garbage collection/disposal and repairs.
- Operate landscaping equipment, hand tools and power tools, as required.
- Greet and engage with all visitors and potential visitors in a pleasant and helpful manner to provide exceptional visitor experiences.
- Communicate park rules and regulations and details of facility programs, products, activities and events to visitors.
- Assist in providing and enhancing visitor experiences within the facility by preparing areas for public use and engage with program or event organizers to ensure needs are met.
- Ensure all required equipment is available, in good working condition and stored appropriately.
- Identify and report hazardous site conditions, ensuring staff and visitors do not encounter unsafe areas, materials or equipment.
- Perform parking control duties; maintain and direct traffic flow as required.
- Understand and follow responsible cash handling procedures as required.
- Support a healthy workplace that embraces diversity, encourages teamwork and complies with all applicable regulatory and legislative requirements.
- May require physical activity for extended periods of time in all weather conditions;
- Other duties may be assigned.
- High school diploma an asset.
- Experience working in a general maintenance position an asset.
- Experience working at an attraction or park an asset.
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C Certification an asset.
- Valid Ontario G2 drivers’ licence an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in handling and operation of small equipment.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Conflict resolution, de-escalation skills and problem-solving skills.
- General computer skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-058-20.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.