SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Greenspace Conservation Planner is responsible for coordinating the technical components of TRCA’s greenspace conservation planning initiatives including land management and master plans, trail plans, greenspace strategies, and supporting policies and procedures. This includes drafting site specific management zones, trail plans, concept plans, management recommendations and plan implementation budgets and schedules for review by the Project Manager or Supervisor. In addition, the position is responsible for operating the project communications plan by preparing and circulating meeting minutes, preparing project newsletters, monitoring social media and traditional media outlets, and maintaining project web pages. Additionally, this position is responsible for managing the publication of site-specific greenspace conservation land management, master and trail plans. Furthermore, this position provides day-to-day guidance for the Planning Assistant(s) in support of greenspace conservation planning initiatives. Overall, this position provides comprehensive greenspace conservation and trail planning information to the Senior Project Manager or Supervisor who will utilize the material in strategic and site specific greenspace conservation planning initiatives to rethink TRCA greenspace and for maximizing its value.
- A minimum of 4 years post-secondary education in landscape architecture, planning, environmental science, resource management, geography or related discipline;
- Professional Project Management certification;
- One (1) years of experience in greenspace and trail policy, planning and management;
- Strong analytical skills to summarize findings and technical input and to identify opportunities for TRCA;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent time management, analytical, problem solving, staff leaderships and supervisory skills;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and public contacts in a client service environment;
- Computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), Adobe Acrobat, Geographic Positioning System (GPS)/Trimble, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) with ArcGIS preferred, Lotus Notes, and the Internet;
- Demonstrated knowledge of municipal and provincial legislation relevant to conservation land planning including the Planning Act and Conservation Authorities Act;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and/or peak period workloads that may extend beyond the normal workday;
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret plans and maps;
- Valid Driver's Licence an asset.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
- Receives and incorporates technical staff comments on components of land management plans, trails plans and greenspace strategies.
- Prepares mapping products to support greenspace plans and strategies, as directed by the Project Manager, Greenspace Conservation and Supervisor, Greenspace Conservation, with assistance from technical GIS team staff as required.
- Schedules, drafts agenda and minutes for approval of the project manager, prepares presentations, records and drafts minutes for technical team, advisory committee and public meetings for project manager review.
- Works with Administrative Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation to reserve meeting space, distribute meeting invitations, confirm meeting attendance, provide meeting supplies.
- Incorporates research from planning assistant(s) into plan documents.
- Coordinates analysis of visitor monitoring results with Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation, for inclusion in greenspace conservation planning initiatives.
- Drafts public communications to support planning initiatives, including drafting meeting notices, summaries, briefings and Board reports for review of the project manager, maintaining project web page and project newsletters, and monitoring social media in relation to projects and greenspace conservation planning initiatives.
- Maintains project records, including agendas, minutes, letters, emails, and plans, in project files (central file and Laserfiche)
- Contributes to funding applications submissions to support greenspace planning projects by consolidating technical information, including budgets and schedules.
- Summarizes the greenspace conservation initiatives and trends identified by the Planning Assistant(s) and recommends incorporation into greenspace conservation planning initiatives.
- Administers the review of geocache applications on TRCA lands.
- Participates in the review of greenspace policies and procedures by drafting policy updates and by receiving and incorporating technical comments.
- Identifies greenspace conservation initiatives and trends for further research.
- Supports work of strategic and site specific greenspace conservation planning initiatives to rethink greenspace to maximize its value.
- Provide site-specific technical comments on TRCA permit application reviews and other technical plan developments as they relate to greenspace planning project, policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with technical municipal staff regarding planning for site specific trail connections and other greenspace conservation partnership initiatives.
- Acts as a TRCA representative on external technical committees and working groups to inform site-specific projects.
- Provides day-to-day guidance to Planning Assistant(s), Greenspace Conservation as it relates to technical support of greenspace conservation planning initiatives, including work plan monitoring.
- Participates in recruitment and makes hiring recommendations.
- Develops and maintains the content for the Land Management and site-specific greenspace pages on the TRCA website, under the guidance of the Supervisor, Greenspace Conservation and with input from the Project Manager, Greenspace Conservation, Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation, Coordinator, Land Management and Project Manager, Land Management.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability - related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.