To provide support to the senior staff of the section in research requirements, policy formulation and special projects related to provincial and municipal policy and regulation, growth management, natural hazard and water management, natural heritage protection and enhancement, and planning for sustainable communities. Provide assistance with the administrative and implementation aspects of divisional programs related to planning policy and regulations and regulation mapping. Respond to property inquiries with respect to TRCA’s programs, policies, and Regulation. Provide effective project management and customer/client service delivery.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in land use planning or environmental policy planning or a related discipline; graduate level education an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years’ environmental policy planning experience; experience in development review is an asset.
- Detailed knowledge of statutes and regulatory controls affecting land use planning and development is required with a good understanding of the role of TRCA in the broader municipal and provincial planning context.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated ability to interpret Provincial Plans and legislation and municipal planning documents such as Official Plans and Zoning Bylaws to develop appropriate policy recommendations and independent professional planning opinions based on TRCA interests and The Living City Policies.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- An understanding of watershed planning, engineering and ecological disciplines in order to develop and maintain effective professional relationships within an integrated team of senior practitioners and specialists.
- Excellent computer and project management skills, as well as, ability to prioritize and complete multiple project assignments.
- Member of Ontario Professional Planners Institute, or in process to becoming a member.
- Participate in research and responding to Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR) registry notices as required; Provide assistance to (or act as) the lead reviewer to coordinate and consolidate comments and prepare and submit final response to EBR.
- Conduct research relating to the delivery of internal policy, planning and regulation services, policy development and strategy formulation within a team planning setting for watershed plans, development and resource management-related policy initiatives.
- Prepare briefings, memos and draft reports and recommendations related to research and review findings of internal and external policy and planning initiatives.
- Assist senior staff with capital projects related to planning and regulation programs, including management of annual updates to Regulation mapping and coordination with technical staff.
- Respond to inquiries and provide direction to junior staff in the administration of TRCA’s Solicitor/Realty Inquiry program.
- Assist in the preparation of Authority reports, documentation and materials in order that the Authority may be appropriately represented at public meetings, committees and hearings. Attend meetings as required.
- Provide effective, timely and professional customer/client service delivery in the undertaking and completion of all project tasks assigned.
- Participate in performance evaluation of the Planner I and provide constructive feedback on a bi-annual basis.
- Coordinate multi-stakeholder consultation processes on TRCA project.
- Prepare a range of promotional and communication materials, graphics and PowerPoint presentations for senior staff.
- Assist senior policy team staff in the hiring process for new Planner Is or the engagement of interns and volunteers.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.