Contract duration: 4 Months
Under the guidance and direction of the Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation, the Program Assistant, Greenspace Conservation position is responsible for collecting data in support of the technical components of TRCA’s land, and trail assessment and monitoring initiatives including trail and land asset inventories and audits, visitor monitoring, trail accessibility assessments for the TRCA Conservation Land Care Program and for projects beyond this program upon request. The position completes annual assessment and monitoring responsibilities. Works in collaboration with Resource Management Projects and Property and Risk Management staff to identify and monitor land boundary encroachment issues, and with Resource Management Projects and Enforcement and Compliance staff to identify trespass and illegal use issues. Overall, this position plays an integral role in gathering strategic and site specific greenspace conservation management information and data that will be analyzed and used by TRCA staff to rethink TRCA greenspace that will maximize its value and in mitigating TRCA’s risk of land ownership and management.
- In field data collection with GPS/Trimble and/or iPad in support of the assessment and monitoring of TRCA lands and trails according to land and trail operating procedures to identify property standards and asset management issues, in support of TRCA Encroachment Policy and in support of TRCA Asset Management Program.
- Remove or mitigate small hazards with hand tools, as appropriate.
- Deliver to neighbours and/or post on trail heads/entry points, public communications to support assessment and monitoring initiatives, including inspection notices.
- Download data collected in the field to desktop computer for quality maintenance.
- Install trail counters and collect data from counters.
- Prepare drafts of property specific assessment, monitoring reports, site securement and protection plans based on field assessment and monitoring data.
- Conduct trail head condition assessment and improvement visits.
- Conduct the accessibility of assessment of existing and newly constructed TRCA-managed trails and upon other trails upon special request.
- Audit visitation to TRCA greenspace and trails upon special request through trail counters, online user surveys and field user surveys.
- Identify locations, install and collect data from trail counters.
- Identify land and trail assessment and monitoring initiatives and equipment for application at TRCA.
- Participate in the review of land and trail policies and procedures by providing operational experience and advice.
- Be a technical resource for Resource Management Projects staff, and other staff teams as necessary.
- 1 year post-secondary education in park management, trail management, planning, environmental science, environmental technology, resource management, geography or related discipline.
- 1 year of experience in greenspace and trail monitoring and management.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical skills to summarize findings and technical input and to identify opportunities for TRCA.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated time management and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and public contacts in a client service environment.
- Computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word), Geographic Positioning System (GPS)/Trimble, GIS, Lotus Notes, Survey Monkey, the Internet, HETAP.
- Demonstrated ability to operate mobile data entry services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of municipal and provincial legislation relevant to conservation land planning including the Conservation Authorities Act and Trespass to Property Act.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and/or peak period workloads that may extend beyond the normal workday.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret plans and maps.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # TRCA-070-19 prior to midnight on March 23, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews.
Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or drivers abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs.