Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Manager, Human Resources, will lead, manage and participate in all Human Resources (HR) functions of TRCA including, the formulation, implementation and administration of strategic human resources policies and practices based on a solid understanding of TRCA’s operations. The Senior Manager will use their leadership skills to meet the requirements and challenges associated with change management, organizational structure changes, talent acquisition and development, succession planning, performance management, employee relations, compensation and benefits, job evaluation, health and safety, and legislative compliance. Additionally, with a team of HR staff, the Senior Manager will provide day-to-day guidance and support to approximately 650 full-time staff and 600 supplementary staff at all levels within TRCA with respect to the above. The strength and talents of TRCA staff are an integral component of the success of TRCA and therefore this leadership position plays an integral role in maintaining and enhancing the investment that TRCA has and continues to make with respect to human resources.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Successful completion of a University degree in Human Resources or related field.
- 10 years' of progressive Human Resources experience, including 5 years' in a management role.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) and Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designations are required. Certified Human Resources Executive (CHRE) designation is preferred.
- Expert knowledge of employment legislation including but not limited to the Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, and AODA.
- Experience working within a Conservation Authority, provincial or municipal government setting considered an asset.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), presentation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills. Ability to present at the senior/board level.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and HRIS programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage an HR strategic plan.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend and implement an HRIS system and formal succession plan.
- Experience managing and administering a compensation program and job evaluation system.
- Results-oriented with excellent leadership/management, negotiation, mediation/facilitation and adaptability skills.
- Proven ability to work independently in an ever-changing environment while ensuring a high level of integrity and confidentiality is maintained.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate confidential/ sensitive/controversial information while exercising discretion and judgement.
- Ability to manage a diverse HR team with excellent interpersonal, performance management, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Ability to manage, track and maintain HR related budget and financial requirements.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to identify priorities and work on a number of concurrent projects.
- Thorough knowledge and strong understanding of health and safety reporting requirements.
- Advanced ability to build trusting relationships with internal and external clients and able to demonstrate the value of HR as an integral business partner.
- Availability to work after-hours in times of intense activity and/or emergency situations.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence.
- Lead, conduct as well as provide guidance, facilitation, mediation and resolution to all levels of staff on confidential employee relation issues.
- Lead, manage, administer and maintain TRCA’s compensation program including the internal job evaluation process; review and advise on position/ job descriptions and the development of compensation policies and procedures.
- Lead the management of TRCA’s Benefits Program (health and dental, LTD, EAP, Life Insurance, AD&D).
- Lead and oversee the recruitment and selection as well as on-boarding and off-boarding process.
- Lead and oversee the overall goals and objectives of TRCA’s Talent Management Program as well as oversee the design, development, implementation, delivery and coordination of a wide range of learning programs and services.
- Lead and oversee the overall goals and objectives of TRCA’s Health and Safety Program, as well as oversee the pro-active management, assessment, development, approval and implementation of a wide variety of health and safety goals and objectives within a multi-location and multi-faceted high risk work environment.
- Establish strong business relationships at all levels within TRCA in order to maximize employee engagement and productivity and enhance business performance.
- Participate in strategic plan initiatives as well as divisional projects as required or requested to offer HR guidance, advice, expertise and employment law implications.
- Participate at the Senior Management level to represent HR and provide guidance and expertise to the organization.
- Develop, implement and maintain a formal Succession Plan for key leadership positions in order to preserve knowledge management and provide a seamless transition when vacancies occur.
- Lead, develop and implement a strategic plan for the HR Department which will outline the strategic priorities of the HR team keeping in line with the overall TRCA Strategic Plan.
- Lead and provide managerial leadership to TRCA’s HR team.
- Lead and approve the development, implementation and interpretation of legislated and non-legislative policies and procedures.
- Manage, adhere to and monitor the HR Team budget.
- Play a major role and lead on training programs for new HR policies and programs.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.