Under the direction and guidance of the Manager Safety and Well-being, the Health and Safety Construction Specialist will provide a critical safety role in the coordination, implementation and admininstration of TRCA’s multi-site and often multi-million dollar construction projects. The Specialist will be a subject matter expert who will foster and promote an exceptional safety culture and strive continuously to improve key performance measures that are subject to an auditing process. The Specialist will ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulation 213, Construction Projects and other applicable legislation. Additionally, the Specialist will apply health and safety best practices and monitor compliance on assigned projects. Overall, this position plays an integral role in strengthening TRCA’s health and safety program; particularly with respect to construction safety with the goal of providing leadership and fostering management accountability to help improve the safety practices of TRCA’s highest risk activties.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education or Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
- 5 years' of direct experience in construction, including 3 years in a health and safety role.
- Internal auditor training in the Certificate of Recognition (COR) Program.
- JHSC Certification training (at least Part 1 completed).
- Standard A or C First Aid with CPR A + AED.
- Practical trade experience/training in heavy construction equipment and excavation.
- Experience working within a public agency an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulation 213 for Construction Projects.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7, WHMIS Regulation and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
- Practical knowledge of equipment and training related to Working at Heights, Confined Space Entry, Trenching and Excavation, Electrical Safety, and Respiratory protection an asset.
- Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate confidential/sensitive/controversial information; exercise judgement and discretion.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to multi-task; self-motivated with ability to prioritize multiple demands and unanticipated events.
- Ability to operate in high pressure situations, stressful situations (i.e. MOL investigations).
- Ability to demonstrate the application of risk assessment to TRCA construction operations and activities.
- Effective communication, presentation, mediation/facilitation skills.
- Availability to work after-hours in times of intense activity and/or emergency situations.
- Valid driver's license with good driving record and the ability to drive to job sites.
- Provides guidance and expertise in health and safety on construction projects with the goal of ensuring senior management allocates appropriate resources to run safe job sites, and that they are held accountable for their decisions.
- Conducts risk assessments / hazard analysis.
- Attends regular and random site audits, under a recognized audit process (COR, Workwell), and provides reports to construction project managers.
- Audits safety compliance of contractors/subcontractors as well as works with internal staff to ensure legal compliance and success with other safety performance targets / scores; with a focus on adherence to safe work procedures/practices, proper use of personal protective equipment, and completion of training.
- Oversee contractor/subcontractor safety background checks and manages WSIB Clearance Certificates with the goal of assisting in the procurement contractor selection process.
- Conducts safety orientation training with staff and contractors/subcontractors.
- Audits the filing of correct Ministry of Labour Notices and related forms.
- Coordinates and assists with a variety of site safety inspections. The principal focus being on implementing a supervisory safety inspection process on construction projects.
- Attends all required safety meetings and actively participates as a member of the Joint health and Safety Committee as well as applicable safety committees.
- Coordinates and arranges for implementation of a daily and weekly supervisory safety/tool box talks program on Construction Projects.
- Supports the development and improvement of OH&S policies and procedures.
- Stop any unsafe acts, attends to a work refusals, and liaises with the Ministry of Labour as required.
- Provides recommendations for improvement in the injury / Near Miss investigation process.
- Participates in completion of all health and safety incident reports in a timely manner, including WSIB forms, and that incidents are properly reported.
- Provides on-site assistance with safe return-to-work plans with those that require accommodation.
- Coordinate the ergonomic program implementation, specific to construction related work.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.