*16 Week Contract Position*
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Technician, Greenspace Conservation position is responsible for collecting field data in support of the technical components of TRCA’s greenspace land, trail and user assessment and monitoring initiatives. This includes trail and land asset inventories, audits and assessments, greenspace visitor monitoring, and trail accessibility assessments for the TRCA Conservation Land Care Program as well as for additional projects upon request. Overall, this position plays an integral role in gathering strategic and site specific greenspace conservation management information and data that will be analyzed and used by supervisory staff to rethink TRCA greenspace to maximize its value and to mitigate TRCA’s risk of land ownership and management. Providing excellent customer and client service as well as working safely are conditions of employment. This position is primarily conducting field work and candidates must be willing to work in remote locations with limited facilities.
*NOTE: To qualify for this positions, applicants must be:
1) Between the ages of 18-24 years of age;
2) Registered as a full-time student (previous year and intended to return full-time);
3) A Canadian Citizen;
4) Entitled to work in Canada.
** Please note that position is dependent on confirmation of funding **
- One year post-secondary education in park management, trail management, planning, environmental science, environmental technology, environmental management, natural resource management, geography, geographic information systems, or related discipline;
- Minimum of one year experience related to the major tasks;
- Possess knowledge of municipal and provincial legislation relevant to conservations land management and planning including the Conservation Authorities Act, the Trespass to Property Act and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act;
- Computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word), Geographic Positioning System (GPS) (Trimble preferred), GIS (ArcGIS preferred), Lotus Notes, Survey Monkey, the Internet, HETAP;
- Demonstrated ability to operate mobile data entry services;
- Demonstrated orienteering, navigation and/or mapping skills;
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret plans and maps;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated time management and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and/or peak period workloads that may extend beyond the normal workday;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and public contacts in a client service environment;
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions;
- Valid Ontario Driver's License required.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR TASKS:
Perform the following under general supervision.
- In field data collection with GPS/Trimble and/or iPad in support of the assessment and monitoring of TRCA greenspace land and trails according to land and trail inventory and audit operating procedures to identify property standards and asset management issues.
- Remove or mitigate small hazards with a maximum of hand tools, as appropriate.
- Deliver to neighbours and post on trail heads and entry points public communications to support assessment and monitoring initiatives, including inspection notices, and other educational material.
- Download data collected in the field to desktop computer for quality maintenance by Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation.
- Install trail counters and collect data from counters on a monthly basis, as per direction of Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation.
- Prepare drafts of property specific assessment and monitoring reports and site securement and protection plans based on field assessment and monitoring data for review by the Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation.
- Conduct accessibility assessment of existing and newly constructed TRCA-managed trails and of other trails upon special request.
- Conduct field user surveys and promote online surveys in support of TRCA greenspace and trails visitor monitoring and on other lands and trails upon special request.
- Prepare drafts of greenspace and trail assessment and monitoring reports and site securement and protection plans based on field assessment and monitoring data for review by the Coordinator, Greenspace Conservation.
- Be a technical resource for Greenspace Conservation and Land Management staff, and other staff teams as necessary.
- Participate in the review of greenspace and trail policies and procedures by providing operational experience and advice.
- Identify greenspace and trail assessment and monitoring initiatives and equipment for application at TRCA.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.