Contract Duration: 1 Year Contract Position
The Technologist, Hydrometrics is responsible for the day to day operation of TRCA’s stream, precipitation and meteorological monitoring networks. These networks provide critical data for TRCA’s Flood Risk Management program, Regional Monitoring program and others. The role requires the Technologist to install, operate, maintain and calibrate a wide variety of environmental monitoring equipment, in both real-time and remote configurations. The real-time monitoring stations provide critical data to TRCA’s Flood Forecasting and Warning website and play an important role in TRCA being able to issue timely flood messages. Additionally, the role requires the Technologist to keep up to date with state of the art environmental monitoring technologies and to be able to trouble shoot complex telemetry and data acquisition systems. The Technologist must also be able to participate in other projects including water quality monitoring, bathymetric surveys and assist in flood infrastructure maintenance. Occasionally, the Technologist will be required to work as a back-up dam operator on a rotating basis. This position reports to the Specialist – Flood Infrastructure and Hydrometrics.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or college diploma in environmental science, geography, hydrology, civil or water resources engineering or related fields.
- Three (3) years' experience with environmental monitoring.
- Experience with open channel flow measurements.
- Experience installing, maintaining, calibrating and operating stream gauges, precipitation gauges, snow course measurements, meteorological monitoring stations. This includes operation of data loggers, specialized environmental monitoring sensors and acoustic doppler flow measurement equipment.
- Experience completing level surveys.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, Access).
- Valid Ontario “G” Driver’s Licence.
- Conduct flow measurements and use data to develop stage/discharge relationships.
- Maintain, install and repair precipitation and stream gauge stations to ensure accurate data collection and maximize station up-time.
- Performs all tasks required to maintain TRCA’s Low Flow monitoring program including flow measurements at 180 sites, data QA/QC, year over year project objectives and site selection.
- Install, maintain and operate automated water quality samplers and prepare samples for laboratory analysis.
- Ensure accuracy of data collected and perform corrections for due diligence requirements; use professional judgement and best industry practice for data manipulation and flagging of data quality.
- Design and construct field monitoring stations for TRCA special projects; conduct procurement using TRCA procedures and provide technical expertise on best management practices for environmental data collection.
- Ensure real time data delivery to TRCA’s Flood Forecasting and Warning servers in order to maximize uptime for the networks; ability to troubleshoot complex telemetric hardware and software including cellular IP modems.
- Assist in flood infrastructure operations, inspection and maintenance at TRCA dams and flood control structures.
- Act as back-up dam operator when required.
- Complete accurate level surveys where required.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of health and safety requirements and be able to implement safe working procedures for a variety of site conditions.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
TRCA is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require accessibility related accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.