Contract Duration: 1 Year Contract Position
Reporting to the Specialist – Flood Infrastructure and Hydrometrics, the Hydrometrics Technician is responsible for the day to day operation of TRCA’s stream and precipitation networks. These networks provide critical data for the TRCA’s Flood Risk Management program. This position will operate, maintain, install and monitor a variety of environmental sensors including the real-time telemetry equipment that provides water level and precipitation data for the Flood Forecasting and Warning program. There will also be occasional water quality sampling projects that will require operation and maintenance of automated water samplers. The Hydrometric Technician will also assist the team in flood infrastructure maintenance and be available to work as a back-up dam operator on a rotating basis. Working safely is a condition of employment.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in environmental science or engineering, water resources, resource or civil technology.
- Ability to obtain OACETT C.E.T or C. Tech designation an asset.
- Minimum three (3) years' experience with environmental monitoring.
- Knowledge of stream and precipitation gauge installations, datalogger programming, environmental sensor monitoring, meteorological installations.
- Experience with automated water quality samplers.
- Experience working with databases and time-series data.
- Experience with time-series data management software considered an asset.
- Experience completing infrastructure inspections and maintenance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong problem solving abilities with skills in using a variety of hand and power tools to repair and maintain a diverse range of environmental monitoring stations including installing small scale solar power systems.
- Ability to work in difficult work environments including working in and around water (the ability to swim is mandatory), poor weather conditions, confined spaces, working at heights and, lifting heavy objects (20kgs).
- Ability to work non-regular hours during storm and flood events and when acting as the back-up dam operator.
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, SQL), and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize and complete multiple and diverse project assignments.
- Valid Ontario "G" Class driver’s license.
Perform tasks under general supervision.
- Conduct open channel flow measurements and use data to develop stage/discharge relationships.
- Maintain, install and repair precipitation and stream gauge stations to ensure accurate data collection and maximize station up-time.
- Assist with flow monitoring for TRCA’s Low Flow Program and Stream Flow Program.
- QA/QC field data to ensure accuracy and seamless integration of data into TRCA’s corporate database.
- Install, maintain and operate automated water quality samplers and prepare flow weighted samples for laboratory analysis.
- Assist with real-time Flood Forecasting and Warning website day-to-day operations.
- Assist Flood Infrastructure staff with monitoring and maintenance of dams.
- Act as back-up dam operator when required.
- Complete accurate, well documented site surveys where required.
- Ensure all health and safety regulations are being followed by staff and develop protocols for field activities that meet Ministry of Labour legislation.
- Other tasks as assigned.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.